Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Teacher Stores are Overwhelming

     Yesterday my mom and I happened to pass by a store for teachers (The Chalkboard) while we were out. I asked to stop in because I wanted to buy a lesson planner. Wow, there was so much in that store it was hard to even find the lesson planning books! Then, there were so many that it was hard to make a choice, especially since I haven't used one before. Last fall, I typed out weekly plans for the weeks I was actually teaching, but this year, I don't want to rely on a computer since I'll be teaching abroad. Finally, I found a simple, sturdy, green one with a plain inside that didn't waste too much space (similar to the one on the right, but mine only has four periods). I considered getting two since I have two grades but decided that if I need to, I could just use the weeks after the yellow separator for the fifth grade and get a new book at Christmas. I didn't have time to look at anything else, money to buy anything, or space to bring it, so I left with just the planner, but wow, that store had a lot of stuff! I could have spent hours just browsing like a child in a toy store.

     Trying to plan for my classroom in Venezuela is proving to be very difficult. I don't really know what resources I'll have besides a general view. I also can't bring too much with me since my living supplies will take most of the room in my suitcase. Today, I sorted my books and picked a handful that I hope to have room for in my carry-on. I like to be prepared for my class, but I can't really do that like I usually would. Packing is quite the process, and I leave soon! School starts in less than a month, and I can't believe that I will ever be ready for it. I would appreciate any first year tips, lack of resources tips, or any other advice you have!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, it's hard to even imagine. Wow. I always say it's important at the beginning of the year to slow down so that later you can speed up. Maybe you're not currently able to plan for academics, but you can plan for the ways that you'll build community, routines, etc. What an exciting adventure!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete