Thursday, August 9, 2012

A First Grade Summer

Wow, it's been a long time since I've written on this blog. I hope everyone has been having a wonderful summer. I know I have!

     I started my summer by working for a month at a summer school/camp. My class had just finished first grade. It was so much fun! Everyday, we had art, music, gym, language arts, math, and lunch. As a college assistant, I brought my class to the different rooms and helped out as needed. Some highlights were: helping one girl learn how to write her last name, reading books aloud, listening to the students sing our up-beat songs, throwing water balloons on unsuspecting students below on water day, and going on our many field trips. We went to the zoo, bowling alley, splash pad, and a nursing home to sing the program they were learning. There were also short trips to events at the library and special days like water day or really hot days (over 100) where we went to an air conditioned building to play games or watch a movie. Overall, it was a great month, and I loved having the experience with these students before student teaching this fall.

     Speaking of student teaching, while I was originally placed in second grade, that teacher decided to retire, so now I am... in first grade! First grade seems to be where I'm at this summer. I have first graders at summer school, babysit a girl who is going into first grade, and now I'll be there this fall! While I love second grade, I'm sure first grade will be amazing, and I'm looking forward to an experience I have not had yet. I start next Thursday with students the following Monday. Have a wonderful start to the school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment